This chicken and soy sauce noodle stir-fry is an easy dish you’re sure to love. It’s quick to put together, really easy to make in bulk and great for using up leftover meat and veg. It also reheats well making it great for lunch the next day.
At our house we love weekday recipes that are quick and family friendly. With two young kids, whenever we have free time to cook at the end of the day to we are usually pretty buggered! So recipes like this are gold since they are easy to prepare and something the kids will definitely eat.
We hope you enjoy our chicken and soy sauce noodle stir-fry!
Scruff & Steph
Ingredients Used in Chicken and Soy Sauce Noodle Stir-Fry
All the ingredients for this recipe we got from my local mainstream grocery. If you are having any trouble sourcing any of the ingredients, then your local Asian grocer should have everything you need.
- Egg Noodles – we use the dried thick egg noodles that are readily available at mainstream grocers. We prefer these because we always have them on hand. You can also use the thinner noodles but they will break more easily and won’t be able to soak up as much sauce.
- Chicken thigh fillets – can be substituted for chicken breast, pork or beef.
- Vegetables – you can really use any vegetable besides tubers (potato, sweet potato etc). We highly recommend shiitake mushrooms, which you can get dried, fresh or canned.
- Sauces – all the classic Chinese sauces! Soy sauce, shao xing cooking wine, dark soy sauce, sesame oil and hoisin sauce. I know there’s a few here on the list but if you cook Asian food reasonably regularly I assure you these will get used again and again. They have all been bought at a mainstream grocer (Coles) and also keep for a long time.
Making the Chicken and Soy Sauce Noodle Stir Fry
Preparing the Ingredients
The secret to making a great noodle stir fry is to have all the ingredients prepped before cooking.
- Cut the meat and vegetables into small-ish pieces so they cook faster.
2. Combine the sauces in a bowl and set aside until needed.
Cooking the Chicken and Vegetables
Important! Make sure the sauce and ingredients have been prepped before you start cooking.
3. Heat the wok / pan over high heat, then add the oil. Allow the oil to heat up before adding the chicken.
4. Fry the chicken until it is half cooked, then add the ginger and garlic. Fry until aromatic.
5. Add the shitake mushrooms, onions and carrots, along with 2 tbsp of sauce. Toss for a few seconds then allow it to cook for a minute.
6. Add the Asian greens and toss for about 20 seconds. You don’t want to cook these for too long since they go soft very quickly.
7. Transfer everything in the wok / pan to a bowl and leave aside till needed.
Frying the Egg Noodles
8. Allow the wok / pan to come back to temperature then add some oil.
9. Once the oil comes to temperature, fry the noodles for 3-4 minutes.
10. Pour the sauce over the top then toss through until the noodles are evenly coloured.
Combing it All Together
11. Add the meat and veg back into the wok / pan and combine well.
12. Taste check and adjust to your liking.
How to Serve Chicken and Soy Sauce Noodle Stir Fry
This noodle dish is more subtle in flavour than some other noodle recipes. It pairs perfectly with a salty chilli sauce like sriracha.
Other Noodle Dishes You’ll Love
- Quick Rice Noodle Salad with Vietnamese Ham
- Chicken and Rice Noodle Stir Fry
- Easy Chicken and Hokkien Noodle Stir Fry
- Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad Bowls (Bun Bo Xao)
- Wat Tan Hor – Rice Noodles With Egg Gravy
Chicken and Soy Sauce Noodle Stir-Fry
- 1 Wok or large fry pan
- 400 gm dry egg noodles (thicker version)
- 3 chicken thigh fillets (can be substituted for pork or beef)
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 ginger slices
- 5 shitake mushrooms sliced (if using dried pre-soak in boiling water for at least 30 minutes)
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1/2 onion peeled and sliced
- 1 bok choy (or choy sum) cut leaves into halves or thirds
- 3 tbsp oil (canola oil, vegetable oil or other neutral oil)
- 2.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2.5 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- cracked pepper to taste
- coriander chopped
- sriracha / chilli sauce
- Prepare a large pot of boiling water for the noodles.
- Add all the sauce ingredients into a mixing bowl then whisk until combined. Set aside until needed.
- Cut the chicken into small strips.
- In a bowl, add the chicken and 2 tbsp of the sauce. Mix and allow to marinate until needed.
- Cook the noodles as directed on the packaging. Strain and set aside once done.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Heat the wok over high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and the chicken to the wok. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, ginger slices and shitake mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and onions with 2 tbsp of sauce. Cook for 1 minute
- Add the bok choy (or choy sum). Toss for 10 seconds then pour everything into a large bowl. Leave aside until needed.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to the wok then add the egg noodles. Fry for roughly 3 – 4 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the noodles and toss. Then add the meat and vegetables back in and combine well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with sriracha.