This zucchini and meatball soup is a very easy Vietnamese inspired dish that is usually eaten with other rice dishes or by itself. It is simply slices of zucchini and pork meatballs that is flavoured with onions and fish sauce. A delicious soup for those who need something quick and healthy.
Simple zucchini and Meatball Soup
This recipe is something my mum made often growing up at home. I am not sure if it is a traditional Vietnamese dish or not but we usually have this with a few other rice dishes. It is a type of dish us Vietnamese call canh. Canh is usually a soup with vegetables and meat that is eaten towards the end of the meal to wash everything down. It is also one of those dishes that ensures that you are getting your daily dose of healthy vegetables.
Over the years, I have found that it is one of those meals (for me) that I enjoy eating by itself or with little bit of rice. It is something very filling and has become one of my “go to” recipes when needing a healthy low carb meal.
Massage the Pork!
OK, I know this sounds weird but trust me! You need to do this because it will prevent:
- A lot of scum from forming on the surface of your soup.
- Gives the meatballs a uniform texture.
- And it just feels good. Relieves any pent up anger or frustration.
Now you are probably thinking.. what do I mean by massaging? What I do is I use both my hands to squeeze the mince in between my fingers until everything is completely combined. This will probably take 1 – 2 minutes and then at the end I will clump it all together and start making meatballs.
Some Helpful Tips!
- Cut the zucchini pieces thick to prevent them cooking too fast. You will find that soft and translucent zucchini is not very tasty.
- Do not cook the zucchini until done. If its done then its over cooked because it will continue to soften inside your bowl. My advice is to serve it immediately while there is still bite to the zucchini.
- If you think the soup needs:
- More seasoning – add salt
- More seasoning and depth of flavour – add fish sauce
- Less salt/punch – add more water.
Other Similar Recipes
- Simple Watercress and Pork Soup
- Cabbage and Pork Soup
- Egg Drop Chicken and Asparagus Soup
- Clear Hot and Sour Soup
- Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
Simple Zucchini and Meatball Soup
- 1.5 L water
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar (omit for low carb)
- pepper, to taste
- 2 zucchinis (300 gm) thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, or to your taste
- 250 gm pork mince
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Prep all your ingredients.
- In a pot, boil the water on medium high.
- Add the onions, salt, sugar and pepper. Let it simmer on medium low.
- In a large bowl, add the pork mince, fish sauce and pepper. Use your hands to combine thoroughly. Put a small piece of meat onto a plate and in the microwave for 30 seconds or until cooked. Taste check for the seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Use your hands to mould into meatballs. Add the meatballs to the soup and cook until all the meatballs are floating.
- Add the sliced zucchini and turn the heat up onto medium high. Once the water starts boiling, turn the heat off and put the lid on. Let it sit for 2 -3 minutes.
- Check the zucchini to see if is cooked. If no, then turn the heat back on until done to your liking.
- Add the fish sauce, then check the soup for seasoning / flavour. Adjust to your taste. (Please refer to the tips section above for advice.)
- Garnish with spring onions, and serve with rice or by itself.