These crispy almond biscuits are so addictive that it is impossible to stop at one. Each one is a thin biscuit of sugary goodness that is layered with flaked almonds which give it an unbelievable crunch. This recipe is so simple and delicious that you will make it again and again!
Scruff and I have been focusing hard on saving money this year, including making as many things as possible from scratch. It’s easy to spend so much money eating out, and on buying things from the supermarket that are actually quite easy to make at home. We find one thing that’s definitely worth making yourself are biscuits. It’s great having a jar of biscuits on hand, ready for guests, as a snack when you’re going out the house. This recipe is Scruff’s mums, and the whole family has been eating them by the bagful.
My Tips for Success
- It is better to spread the batter thinly. However, this is dependent on how big your baking tray is. My baking tray is approx 45 cm x 35 cm or 18 in x 14 in which is large enough to spread the biscuit mixture thinly. If you have smaller baking trays, then either divide the biscuit mixture into 2 trays or do it in batches.
- It is important to put the baking tray on the middle rack of the oven when baking.
- If one side of the biscuits looks like it is browning faster than the other, then rotate the tray.
- Watch the edges of the biscuit when baking since they will brown first and may burn.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Vietnamese Pig’s Ear Biscuits – Banh Tai Heo
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Croissant Pudding
- Super Simple Chocolate Ripple Cake
- Layered Pastry and Mung Bean Cake (Banh Pia)
- Vietnamese Banana and Bread Cake (Banh Chuoi)
Thank you for visiting our food blog! If you like this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, please drop a comment and subscribe to our email list to always get the latest from our kitchen. It is free and your email will not be shared with anyone else.
If you make any of our recipes, Scruff and I would love to see your creations! Please share it with us on Instagram using #scruffandsteph and @scruffandsteph! We would also appreciate any likes / shares / follows on our Facebook page, Pinterest, Instagram and Yummly. Thank you for your support!
– Scruff & Steph
Crispy Almond Biscuits
- 2 egg whites (large eggs)
- 70 gm icing sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 40 gm melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 zest of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 30 gm all purpose flour, sifted
- 125 gm almond flakes
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F fan force.
- In a bowl, add the egg whites, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Combine with a whisk.
- Sift in the flour and icing sugar into the bowl. Add the melted butter and whisk gently until no lumps. (Do not whip the egg whites)
- Add the almonds and fold in using a spatula.
- Pour the mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread it out thin with a spatula. (My baking tray is approx 45 cm x 35 cm or 18 in x 14 in)
- Put the tray on the middle rack of a preheated oven at 160 C / 320 F fan force for roughly 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take the tray out. Cut with a knife or break off the edges of biscuit that are really brown and put them on the rack to cool. These pieces will not require further cooking.
- Cut / break up the rest of the biscuit into smaller pieces and grill them at 160 C / 320 F for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden. Remember to WATCH THEM!!! (Note 1)
- Take the biscuits out and let them cool on a rack.
- Not all biscuits will brown at the same time. If any pieces look like they are about to burn, take them out and leave the rest until golden.