Chinese tomato and eggs are the one thing I’d recommend everyone learn when they first move out of home. It is made with soft fluffy eggs, fresh tomatoes and a comfortingly sweet sauce. Serve this with a piping hot bowl of jasmine rice, which will soak up the delicious sauce.
Growing up this dish made very regular appearances at the family dinner table. It was one of my favourite things my mum made.
Having my own family now, including a baby, means we rely a lot more on meals like this which are quick and easy. Our baby however is very soon going to be one, and I suppose not so much a baby anymore. The wonderful thing that has come with the ending of this chapter is that she now can eat pretty much the same things we eat, including this. Feeding my daughter the food I remember my mother feeding me has brought a much deeper level of appreciation for this humble dish.
I imagine most Chinese families would have their own way of making Chinese tomato and eggs, but if you’ve never had this, or you’d just like to try a different version, then give our recipe a go.
Recipes Similar to Chinese Tomato and Eggs
- Simple Pork and Black Fungus Mince
- Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry
- Cheap and Easy Chinese Soy Sauce Chicken
- Vietnamese Beef and Celery in Tomato Sauce
- Vietnamese Caramelised Ginger Chicken (Ga Kho Gung)
– Scruff & Steph
Chinese Tomato and Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered and the white core removed (Note 1)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar, or to taste
- 1 slice of ginger (4 gm)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Prep all your ingredients.
- Beat the eggs with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and heat 1 tbsp of oil in wok on medium high. Add the eggs and cook them as would scrambled eggs.
- Once done, place the eggs into a side bowl and turn down the heat to medium – low. Add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the ginger slice for 20 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, sesame oil and 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 3 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and use your spoon to mash the tomatoes to help release the juices. Add the eggs, cover again with the lid, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mix the corn starch with the 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl, then add to the pan and stir until thickened.
- Remove the ginger slices and check the seasoning of the dish. Adjust according to your taste. (Note 2)
- Serve hot with steamed white rice and garnish with chopped spring onions.
- Using the highest quality eggs and tomatoes you can afford will make a big difference to the taste of this dish.
- If the sauce tastes too sour, counteract with more sugar. If the sauce tastes too bland add more salt. I’ve tried to be conservative with the sugar and salt quantities above as it’s always easier to add more seasoning than to take it out.
6 thoughts on “Chinese Tomato and Eggs”
That looks so good, going to try make this tomorrow for the fam!
Thank you! I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do 😊
Thank you Mistimaan!
Love it! We often have rice and eggs as a simple breakfast, I’m sure our family would love taking it up a notch with this recipe. Always looking for super simple things that our teenage kids can make themselves.
Thank you! Simple recipes are great aren’t they? Especially when you have a family, or when you are just starting to learn to cook. Hope you like the recipe if you decide to try it 🙂