This macaroni and spam soup recipe is one of those easy and a little naughty bowls of pure comfort. It is a very popular dish in Hong Kong and is super quick to make since it is simply pasta, spam and egg in soup. If you have never tried it before, the ingredients may seem a little odd but I assure you that it works and it will taste delicious!
Ever since I was a child, I have been a terrible sleeper. I would often wake up in the middle of the night, and feel the need to wake my mum up just to tell her I was awake. She was so patient with me, and would always get out of bed to make me a bowl of noodle soup, and then with a full warm belly I would fall right back asleep again. (Thank you so much mum!!)
Of course when you’re making noodle soup in the middle of the night, you are not making anything fancy, you are making what you can while half asleep. She would on many occasions make this Hong Kong style macaroni and spam soup for me.
I know this soup may sound a little crazy to anyone who’s never tried it, but trust me, it’s good. Fry up some eggs and spam, boil up some macaroni, then add some wonton soup mix for a very easy broth. This dish is great for breakfast, lunch, dinner and especially after a MASSIVE night out on the town!
My Tips for Success
- Fry the egg at medium to low setting in the fry pan. This will stop it from bubbling out of control and give a nice smooth finish to the egg whites.
- I do not personally add oil when frying the spam because it is already high in fat. Also, the spam tends to explode with oil making it a little dangerous! So be careful!
- I highly recommend using the low sodium version of spam.
- Traditionally, chicken stock is used to make this dish but I personally prefer wonton soup mix.
- Sesame oil can be very overpowering. Add it sparingly.
- Keep it simple. This dish was never suppose to be fancy!
This table shows how much this recipe will cost if you had to go out and buy everything on the ingredients list (“Shop Price”), as well as the value of ingredients actually used in the recipe (“Recipe Cost”).
We haven’t bothered with small quantities of salt, pepper or sugar as the cost would be negligible. All prices are in Australian dollars and are based off what was published on Coles Online or Woolworths Online as at time of writing.
|Recipe Needs||Recipe Cost|
|Elbow Pasta||500 gm packet||$1.95||250 gm||$0.97|
|Spam||1 tin (340 gm)||$4.90||170 gm||$2.45|
|Wonton Mix||1 tin (227 gm)||$3.90||2 tsp (10 ml)||$0.17|
|Canola Oil||750 ml bottle||$2.25||1 tbsp (15 ml)||$0.04|
|Sesame Oil||330 ml bottle||$4.95||1/4 tsp (1.25 ml)||$0.02|
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Vietnamese Chicken Pasta Soup – Sup Nui Ga
- Cheap Pasta Stir Fry
- Basic Congee – Rice Porridge
- Fried Bread Sticks – Dau Chao Quay – You Tiao
- The Best Chinese Chicken and Egg Noodle Soup
This Recipe Features In…
Thank you to:
- Beryl Shereshewsky for featuring this recipe in your Trying 5 Spam Recipes From Around the World video! Check out her video for more delicious spam recipes.
- Glamour Magazine for featuring this recipe in your Easy Store Cupboard Recipes article! Check out their article for more cupboard staple meals you can make while self-isolating.
Comment, Subscribe and Follow!
Thank you for visiting our food blog! If you like this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, please drop a comment and subscribe to our email list to always get the latest from our kitchen. It is free and your email will not be shared with anyone else.
If you make any of our recipes, Scruff and I would love to see your creations! Please share it with us on Instagram using #scruffandsteph and @scruffandsteph! We would also appreciate any likes / shares / follows on our Facebook page, Pinterest, Instagram and Yummly. Thank you for your support!
Macaroni and Spam Soup
- 2 L Pot
- 200 gm macaroni (elbows) or pasta of your choice
- 170 gm spam (1/2 a tin), cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs
Wonton Soup Base (Highly Recommended)
- 2 tsp wonton soup mix, available at Asian groceries
- 800 ml water
Chicken Soup Base (Alternative)
- 800 ml liquid low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp soy sauce or to taste
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil or to taste
- spring onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped
- Cook the pasta as per the directions on the packaging. Strain and then leave aside until needed.
- Cut the the spam into cubes. In a fry pan on medium high fry the spam until crispy. Once done, let the spam cool on paper towels until needed.
- In a pot bring 800 ml of water to the boil and add in the wonton mix. If using chicken stock, add it with the soy sauce into pot and bring to the boil.
- In a fry pan, add a 1 tbsp of oil and fry the eggs sunny side up on medium low.
- Taste check the seasoning of your soup and adjust to your taste.
- Divide the pasta into bowls.
- Make sure the chicken stock is boiling and then pour over the pasta.
- Place the spam and egg on top of the pasta
- Garnish with spring onions and sesame oil.
2 thoughts on “Macaroni and Spam Soup with Fried Egg”
Love this recipe – such a yummy, comfort dish! 🙂
Thank you Mai!