Vietnamese Beef and Celery in Tomato Sauce
My beef and celery in tomato sauce is a variation of a popular Vietnamese rice dish that can be whipped up in under 15 minutes. It is basically pan fried strips of beef and celery topped with a can of tomatoes.
Servings 2 people
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 gm beef steak, cut into thin strips (whatever cut you can afford)
- 1/8 tsp salt, or a good pinch
- cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (400 gm)
- 100 gm celery, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
Prepare all your ingredients.
Heat a fry pan over high heat, then add the oil. Fry the onion and garlic for 30 seconds.
Add the beef, salt and pepper. Fry until nearly all brown. (1-2 minutes).
Add the celery to the pan and fry for 1 minute.
Add the crushed tomatoes, fish sauce and sugar. Stir until combined and the sauce is bubbling.
Check the seasoning of your sauce. If it needs more salt / flavour then add more fish sauce. If the sauce is too tangy, add more sugar.
Serve with rice.
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 1210mg | Potassium: 1050mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg