Laos Khao Soi - Tomato Meat Sauce Noodle Soup
Laos khao soi is one of the best hidden gems in the world of noodle soups. It has a garlicky tomato meat sauce that gives this dish its wonderful flavour and colour.
- 1 kg fresh rice noodle (banh pho) or 400 gm of dried flat rice noodles (available at Asian grocers)
- 2 chicken frames / carcasses, washed and cleaned
- 2.5 L water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 500 gm pork mince
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (400 gm)
- 1 cup soy bean paste
- pepper, (to taste)
- 8 sprigs coriander roughly chopped
- 1 packet pork crackling broken up (optional and available at Asian grocery)
- 150 gm bean sprouts (optional but recommended)
- 1 bunch watercress (optional but recommended)
- 2 birds eye chillies, chopped (optional)
- sriracha / chilli sauce (optional)
- fish sauce (optional)
In a large pot, boil the chicken frames in 2.5 L of water. Boil vigorously for 10 minutes and remove the scum on the surface.
Add salt and sugar to the soup and simmer for 1 hour on medium low.
Remove the chicken bones and add the fish sauce. Put the lid on and set aside.
Meat Sauce (Start when 30 minutes left on the soup)
In a non-stick fry pan on medium heat, heat the canola oil, then sweat the onions and garlic.
Add the pork mince and fry until 80% cooked.
Add the crushed tomatoes, soy bean paste, soy sauce and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes over low heat and stir every 5 minutes.
Assembling the Noodle Bowl
Wash vegetables and serve them on the table with any condiments.
Boil plenty of water in a kettle. Divide the fresh rice noodles into bowls. Just before serving, loosen the noodles by pouring boiling water over the noodles. Swirl the noodles for a few seconds with chopsticks and then strain. If using dried rice noodles, please prepare as per package instructions.
Heat up the soup until boiling. Ladle the soup over the noodles and spoon the sauce over the top. (Refer to the pictures)
Garnish and then serve. Also, serve a bowl of meat sauce on the table if anyone wants extra.
Calories: 732kcal | Carbohydrates: 98g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 2604mg | Potassium: 695mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 586IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 4mg