Spring Roll Noodle Bowls - Bun Cha Gio
Rice noodles, loaded up with fresh herbs and vegetables, tossed through with nuoc mam dressing then topped with crispy spring rolls.
Servings 4 people
- 1 packet bean sprouts
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 bunch Vietnamese perilla / tia to optional
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 continental cucumber sliced
- water for boiling
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 20 spring rolls fresh or frozen
- 350 gm dongguan rice vermicelli
- 1/2 cup crushed peanuts
Nuoc Mam Dressing - Nuoc Mam Cham
Fried Spring Rolls - Cha Gio
Pickled Carrot and Daikon – Do Chua (optional)
Wash all herbs and vegetables then spin dry. Set aside.
Make the nuoc mam cham. Set aside to infuse.
In a large pot, boil plenty of water and cook the rice vermicelli as instructed on the packet.
Strain the rice vermicelli and set aside to cool. Do not rinse (Note 1).
In a saucepan, heatup the vegetable oil to 175 C – 180 C.
Add the spring rolls and cook for 3 – 4 mins or until golden.
Allow the spring rolls to drain on a cooling rack.
- Do not rinse the rice vermicelli with cold water after straining or it will go soggy and mushy.
- If you want to serve warm noodle bowls, then heat up the noodles and the nuoc mam dressing in the microwave before serving.