Steph's Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup (from Scratch)
A delicious chicken and sweetcorn soup made completely from scratch.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can creamed corn (420 gm)
- 1 tbsp shao xing cooking wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 350 gm chicken meat, shredded
- 1.8 kg whole chicken not frozen
- 2 L water
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped into small chunks
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 swede, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 20 gm ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 4 sprigs coriander finely chopped (optional)
Making the Chicken Stock
In a medium stockpot, bring 2 L of water to the boil.
Place the chicken with the breast face down in to the boiling water. Let it come back to the boil and skim any scum that accumulates on the surface.
Add the the rest of the soup ingredients and cook for 1 hour.
Take the chicken out to cool and strain the soup. Put the soup back into the pot on medium low.
Once the chicken is cool enough to touch, shred roughly 350 gm of chicken meat. Store the rest of the meat in the fridge for another recipe.
Making the Soup
Add the shao xing wine, sugar, fish sauce and cream corn into the soup. Combine well.
Add the thickener and stir it in until the soup thickened.
Very slowly swirl the soup with a wooden spoon in a circular motion, and add the beaten eggs in little batches.
Taste check the soup and adjust to your preferences.
Add the chicken in at the last minute and garnish.