Chicken Pad Thai with Spring Vegetables
This recipe is a delicious rice noodle stir-fry that has chunks of tender chicken, crispy asparagus and sugar snap peas. The sauce packs a punch with its classic sweet and sour Thai flavours.
Servings 2 people
- 125 gm dried pad Thai rice noodles (flat rice noodles or banh pho noodles will work)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 small brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 gm firm tofu, cut into small batons
- 4 asparagus stalks, cut into 3 cm segments then sliced in half
- 8 sugar snap peas (or snow peas)
- 30 gm unsalted roasted peanuts, crushed
- 5 coriander stalks, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste / puree
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp water
Prepare your rice noodles as per the packaging.
Prep all your ingredients and make the sauce by combining ingredients in a bowl.
In a fry pan or wok on high heat, add the oil and wait till it starts smoking. Add the chicken and cook for roughly 1 minute.
Add the onions and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add the tofu and cover everything with 3 tbsp of the sauce. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
Add the noodles, half of the crushed peanuts and then pour another 3 tbsp of the sauce over the top. With your tongs, gently combine until the sauce has coated everything.
Taste check. Add more sauce if the flavour is not strong enough.
Serve with coriander, more crushed peanuts and a wedge of lime.
Calories: 815kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1941mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 711IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 183mg | Iron: 4mg