This roast chicken and kale salad is so easy that you can whip it up and have it on the table in minutes. The salad includes healthy vegetables such as kale, red cabbage and carrots, then tied together with a delicious honey mustard dressing. All of the ingredients can be prepped beforehand and can be ready to go whenever you need it.
I was talking to friends recently about what their ‘go to meal’ was after a tiring day from work. Most of them will try to avoid fast food and buy a roast chicken from the grocers. I love doing this as well since its so quick and cheap. I mean, I have never made a roast chicken in my life for these very reasons. Sure, home made roast chicken may taste much better but in terms of the cost and effort…. store-bought always wins in my mind.
So, I thought to myself… how can I give the roast chicken a different look? And how can I make the recipe quick to suit working family’s? This post today is my answer to these questions. Hopefully, you guys who love store bought roast chicken will find this recipe useful as well and give it a go.
How to Make this Roast Chicken Salad Quick!
This salad can be a super quick meal to put together because it can all be prepared in advance. When it’s time to eat all you will need to do is simply assemble. Here’s how:
- The dressing can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for up to a week.
- You can prepare the salad mix ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until needed or buy ready made salad mix from the grocers.
- No cooking involved since this recipe uses store-bought roast chicken. Both cold and warm chicken work well with this recipe
- Croutons can also be made beforehand. They freeze very well and should be good for at least 6 months.
Don’t Forget to Massage the Kale!
I am by no means a kale expert but one thing I do know is that you have to massage these bad boys. It will soften the texture which makes it much more pleasant to eat.
To do this, remove the hard stems. Tear the leaves into small pieces and add a little dressing. In your fingers, squeeze the leaves until soft and tender.
Make Your Own Croutons!
Steph and I are very conscious of food waste. One of the things that we always used to throw out was the ends of bread loafs. Well not anymore. We use these slices and any other parts that has gone stale to make croutons.
Whats so good about it is that it can be frozen for months in the freezer. I like to make croutons in the fry pan instead of the oven since I find it quicker and easier.
How to Make Basic Stove Top Croutons
- Cut up bread into small chunks
- Heat up a fry pan on medium low with 2 tbsp of oil or enough to coat all the croutons.
- Add the bread chunks and season with a little salt
- Cook for roughly 10 minutes or until crispy and flip every few minutes.
Some Helpful Tips for Great Croutons
- Do not overcrowd your fry pan! Each crouton should be touching the hot plate to ensure all croutons are cooked evenly.
- It is better to cook the croutons for longer on a lower heat setting rather then the vice versa. This will create crispier croutons and avoid burning.
- If you thinking of making a big batch, then the oven method will be more suitable.
Other Recipes Similar to Roast Chicken Kale Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing
- Simple Chicken Salad with Vietnamese Dressing
- Pearl Barley Salad with Eggs, Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach
- Vietnamese Beef and Watercress Salad
- My Ultimate Potato Salad
- Cheap Tuna Melt Flat Bread Sandwich
Show Us Your Creations!
If you try any of our recipes, Steph and I would love to see your creations! Please share it with us on Instagram using #scruffandsteph and @scruffandsteph! We would also appreciate any likes / shares / follows on our Facebook page, Pinterest and Instagram. Thank you for your support!
Roast Chicken Kale Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing
- 1 – 2 cups roast chicken pieces
- 1 hard boiled egg, thinly sliced (optional)
- croutons (optional)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 apple, cut into matchsticks
- 100 gm kale, stems removed
- 100 gm red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, grated
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
In a bowl or small glass jar, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients. Taste test, and adjust to your preferences. Leave aside until needed.
In a salad bowl, remove the stems from the kale. Add 1 tbsp of the dressing and massage the kale until it is soft and tender.
Prep all your other ingredients and store them separately until assembly.
Just before serving, assemble the salad mix, chicken and egg (if using). Add 2 tbsp of dressing and toss the salad. Add more dressing if needed.
Garnish with croutons.